Mon Oct 23, 2017 | 06:07
Iran slams foreign invasion of Bahrain
Mon, 02 May 2011 16:51:48 GMT
Font size :
Iran's foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi
Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi says the involvement of foreign forces in Bahrain's crisis has only served to complicate the situation.

“The deployment of foreign forces to Bahrain not only did not help resolve the problem, but also complicated the situation,” Salehi said on Monday.

He made the remarks in a meeting with Qatari Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani and Crown Prince Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani in the capital city of Doha.

Salehi arrived in Doha earlier on Monday and was welcomed by Qatari Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Ahmad Al Mahmoud and Iranian Ambassador to Doha Abdollah Sohrabi.

The Iranian foreign minister stressed the necessity of diplomatic behavior towards the peaceful demands of Bahraini people and the withdrawal of foreign forces from the country.

Anti-government protesters have been holding peaceful demonstrations across Bahrain since mid-February, calling for an end to the Al Khalifa dynasty's over-40-year rule.

On March 13, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates deployed police and military forces in the kingdom upon Manama's request to quell the nationwide protests.

According to local sources, scores of protesters have been killed during the government-sanctioned crackdown with the foreign troops contributing to a rise in the violence.

Referring to the recent developments in Syria, Salehi welcomed the implementation of reforms by President Bashar al-Assad, encouraging the Syrian government to pay attention to the popular demands.

The Qatari officials stressed the importance of Iran's role in establishing peace and security in the region, and called for the continuation of talks between regional countries to resolve problems.

MYA/HGH/MMN
Comment
Your Name
Your Comment
Enter the code shown
terms of use

x
Popular
  • last 24 hours
  • last week
  • last month
© 2009 Press TV. All rights reserved.