Sun Jul 23, 2017 | 16:59
Govt. building attack kills 58 in Iraq
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:09:38 GMT
Font size :
The scene of a terror attack in Iraq (file photo)
At least 58 people have been killed and nearly 100 more wounded in an attack on the provincial council headquarters in Iraq's northern province of Salahuddin.

The deadly incident occurred in the city of Tikrit on Tuesday when gunmen used car bombs, explosive belts and hand grenades to storm the government building and take people hostage, Reuters reported.

Jasim al-Dulaimi, head of the health operation center in Salahuddin, said 20 people lost their lives in the attack, which also left at least 65 others injured.

A correspondent for al-Arabiya satellite TV channel and a freelancer for CNN were killed in the hours-long attack, the news outlets confirmed.
Iraqi officials said provincial media adviser Mohammed al-Asi was also among the dead.

A senior intelligence official in Baghdad said the gunmen were holding some hostages inside the building but did not know how many.

Iraqi authorities said they had lost contact with three provincial council members who were inside the building at the time of the attack.

A curfew was imposed in Tikrit, which is the birthplace of executed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein.

MRS/MGH
Comment
Your Name
Your Comment
Enter the code shown
terms of use

x
Popular
  • last 24 hours
  • last week
  • last month
© 2009 Press TV. All rights reserved.